Saturday 12 January 2019

2018 - "This Year In Film"

Well, another Cinematic year has come to a close...and what of it?  Well for me it has been another bumper year of Cinema viewing, with my screenings up on 2017.
The quantity may be up, but is the quality?
I think for me it has been a mixed bag. When the film is good, it's really good, but then when it is bad, Bernard Matthews comes calling !!!

We shall start with a selection of the Turkeys....




 Still not completely sure what either of these two films were about, and I won't be watching again to help me find out !!


 Two examples of British comedy.....at its very worst. Despite some great British stars attached to both films, they completely failed to raise a titter
 I have yet to walk out of a film, but I came remarkably close with both of these two films. There has been much in the press about the complete failure of "Holmes & Watson" but I was surprised as to how bored I was with "The Seagull", and that despite starring one of my favourite actresses, Annette Bening.






 And Woody Allen clearly losing his way, which this dire film, which explains, amongst other things, why Amazon was keen to severe its ties with him.




Here is a selection of films that really were on top form....








From an ice-skating drama to a knock-out sequel







From a Teen love story to the third remake at a classic story of fame and love




Or a film which looks at our love the four legged canine, from the mind of Wes Anderson


There are a few films which on any normal year would have been crowned Best Picture, they were oh so close....





 I was blown away by the armchair grabbing brilliance of "A Quiet Place", and also one of the best thrillers I have seen in some time, namely "Searching"
And then there was the film that SHOULD have taken home the Oscar for Best Picture, and this is of course "Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri"

 There were also a few movies which seemed to come out of nowhere and really took me by surprise





 These three films just really made my day when watching them. To be honest, I had no intention of watching two of them, it was only by pure fluke that I got to see them, and I am so glad that I did. All three will soon be added to my DVD / Blu Ray collection, and are definitely for watching.

And likewise, there are a number of films that seemed to promise to be on the Top Ten List of 2018 and yet fell well short


After a huge success with "Deadpool", the sequel fell well short of repeating that success.
"Aquaman" I put into the same category as "Black Panther" in that I don't see what all the fuss is about or why either have done so well at the Box Office

 Not every horror film can do as well as either "A Quiet Place" or "Overlord". Two films which promised much, but delivered very little were "Hereditary" and much talked about sequel "Halloween"
And I think that "Solo: A Star Wars Story" proved you can have too much Star Wars in your life, when this film well and truly flopped earlier in 2018

Two films, both sequels, both to highly successful originals, and both featuring small roles from multi Oscar winner Meryl Streep.
I think it is fair to say that in both cases, they should have left well alone


And there were two horror films in 2018, which were both worthy of the title horror, as they are truly awful, and they are....

Over four hours of my life were wasted watching these two entries for worst films of the Year.
 

But before we get to the Big Award and that of Best Picture, let us look at some of those who have given the best performances throughout 2018....

BEST SUPPORTING ROLES

There have been numerous actors and actresses who have supported their leading cast members this year, and here are some examples of the very best.....



Allison Janney was rather scary as the mother of Tonya Harding in "I, Tonya", and Timothee Charlamet shows what a phenomenal young actor he is with brilliant work in "Beautiful Boy".

Fionn Whitehead tugged at the heart strings with his role "The Children Act", and for me Woody Harrelson should have gotten the Best Supporting Actor Oscar for his great work on "Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri"
 


BEST  ACTOR












In a great year for biopics, and a year when both John C. Reilly and Steve Coogan could have been added for their amazing work in  "Stan & Ollie", I have decided that I could not choose between Rami Malek for his brilliant performance as Freddie Mercury in "Bohemian Rhapsody" and to the amazing Gary Oldman as Winston Churchill in "Darkest Hour".

BEST ACTRESS




 
On any normal year, any of these three outstanding performances would have bagged the award for Best Actress.

But the Award for Best Actress in a Leading Role goes to.....

Emma Thompson for her powerful and gripping performance in "The Children Act"


THE ROBERT REDFORD AWARD FOR BEST DIRECTORIAL DEBUT

An actor who has been directed by some great talent over the last few years, and has clearly been taking notes, especially when watching his Directorial debut of "A Star Is Born", and the Winner is...

Bradley Cooper

BEST PICTURE

Last year there were four films that I could not seperate, so I had a four way tie. Thankfully that has not happened again this year. 
For me there were two films that really stood out for both moving me, and entertaining me, as well as telling a great story. I also got to see both twice at the Cinema, and had time permitted, I am sure a third viewing for each I would have done. 
The two films that I am awarding the honour of Best Films of 2018 are.....






No comments:

Post a Comment