Tuesday 29 November 2011

"Breaking Dawn pt 1"

The Vampire Chronicles from the pen of Stephanie Meyer come full circle as we begin the first part of the final chapter.

I have to confess that I never expected to be watching these movies, but I sat down one night and watched "Twilight", and was gobsmacked as to how much I enjoyed it. I was not as keen on "New Moon" but did enjoy "Eclipse". So after the journey, here we now are with "Breaking Dawn".

As we all know, "Eclipse" ended with a marriage proposal, and this latest film starts with the marriage ceremony, and poor Jacob going off in a huff. The ceremony takes place, and very beautiful it is too. Then comes the honeymoon. And then we have that first night together, and the hope that Edward will not get too carried away, and do his new bride a mischief. And then comes the kicking of little feet. And then comes the birth....look basically it is the Bella and Edward show.

The majority of the film centres around these two characters, at times when they are on honeymoon, it feels like a brochure for a holiday resort. And because the film centres so much on the newly weds, it suffers because of it. Having not read the books, I cannot comment as to how well the screenplay follows the original book, but it does make for a rather boring film am afraid.
The cast seem to be following the acting by numbers method, with only a fleeting moment of decent acting from Robert Pattinson towards the end of the film.

There is some nice photography at times, and the visuals are very good, but I doubt that the target audience will care about that. All they will be interested in is how quickly does Taylor Lautner get his shirt off? Well I won't spoil this review by answering that question here.

I may watch pt 2, I don't know. maybe it is best to remember the best aspects of the series, and remember the original movie, and "Eclipse"

So much better has gone before........5 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment