Sunday 24 February 2013

"The 85th Annual Academy Awards" - My Predictions

Well here goes, as usual I will be compiling two lists of winners, the ones I think will win, and the ones I want to Win. I may also include if I think there could be a few surprises.

Best Picture
I think that it is between these two titles, as much as it pains me, "Argo" will no doubt win Best Picture, but I would love to see "Les Miserables" pull a last minute victory.


Best Director





An easy one...I will be very surprised to if Steven Spielberg does not bag Best Director, and he is also the one I would like to see take home The Oscar.
Michael Haneke and Ang Lee could be potential competition, but I think seeing as Ben Affleck is not nominated (hoorah) then it should be Spielberg's win.


Best Actor In a Leading Role
I don't believe that I am an Oscars expert or anything, but just about the World and his wife will be pretty certain that Ireland's finest actor will be making Oscar History tonight, when Daniel Day Lewis becomes the first Actor ever to have three Leading Actor Oscars. And yes I want Day Lewis to win, but a little bit of me would be oh so chuffed if Hugh Jackman won.

Best Actress In a Leading Role

In a year of what could be many surprises, this Category does seem to be one that is less set in stone. At the beginning it was Jessica Chastain would walk home with Oscar, but now my money is on Jennifer Lawrence, despite her young years. Though do not discount the more mature Emmanuelle Riva, it would be a nice birthday present for her.
Would like to see Jessica Chastain win for "Zero Dark Thirty".




Best Actor In a Supporting Role



For me there is no better choice in this category than Christoph Waltz, who will hopefully gain a second Best Supporting Actor, for working again with Quentin Tarantino. Christoph is both who I think will Win and who I want to win. 
Though don't lose sight of Tommy Lee Jones for "Lincoln".





Best Actress In a Supporting Role




There does seem to be an amount of certainly around this Award, and the fact that the Academy have probably already engraved Anne Hathaway's name on it. It would be a very worthy win, and I am happy to have Anne be in both my Win lists.







Best Screenplay Written Directly For The Screen

For me there is only one winner in the Original Screenplay Award, and he is Quentin Tarantino.
Although I would not be surprised to see Mark Boal take a last minute victory for his work on "Zero Dark Thirty".





Best Screenplay Based On Material Previously Produced Or Published

A tough one this, but I believe that Chris Terrio will win for his appalling work on "Argo".
I would like to see Tony Kushner win for his excellent work on "Lincoln"





So to clarify...here are my predictions for the Big Wins at the 85th Annual Academy Awards

Best Picture - Argo
Best Director - Steven Spielberg
Best Actor In a Leading Role - Daniel Day Lewis
Best Actress In a Leading Role - Jennifer Lawrence
Best Actor In a Supporting Role - Christoph Waltz
Best Actress In a Supporting Role - Anne Hathaway
Best Screenplay Written Directly For The Screen - Django Unchained
Best Screenplay Based on Material Previously Produced Or Published - Argo

And just to finish off, I want to give a big Good Luck to  "Skyfall", and especially to Adele who is favourite to win for Best Song, and I really hope that she does.

It is going to be an unforgettable night, and there could be quite a few surprises.....so here is to Oscar and the enjoyment of the 85th Annual Academy Awards......












No comments:

Post a Comment