Friday 22 February 2019

"The 91st Annual Academy Awards" - My Predictions


With less than a week to go, the 91st Annual Academy Awards will soon be upon us. And I think that it is fair to say that it has not been the easist of rides this year. We gained and lost a new category, we gained and lost a new Host, and we almost lost and then got back the televising of 4 Oscars, most importantly for Cinematography and Editing.

I personally think that the Award for Popular Film is an excellent idea, and I hope that it gets implemented next year. Some feel that it is not a good idea, becaiuse it means that a popular is less likely to win the Best Picture Oscar. Let's face it, the likelihood of the Oscar for Best Picture going to "Avengers Assemble: Infinity War" , "Furious 7", or "Avatar" are practically impossible, and frankly rightly so. But surely to win a Popular Oscar is better than no Oscar at all.

Anyway, I'm getting sidetracked. As usual I will compile my list of those whom I think will Win and those whom I would like to see Win.

As usual, my list will consist of the following:-

Best Original Screenplay
Best Screenplay Based on Material Previously Produced or Published
Best Actress in a Supporting Role
Best Actor in a Supporting Role
Best Actress in a Leading Role
Best Actor in a Leading Role
Best Director
Best Picture

Out of the 43 nominations that the varied films have garnered from these 8 categories, I have to date seen 32. So not as good as last year, and some of the blame for that can be laid at the door of Netflix, but don't get me started on that.

Best Original Screenplay

Although I have yet to see "Roma" I do know that there is this huge wave of affection towards the film, which is why I think it will win. Of the other films, I would love to see "Green Book" win.









Best Screenplay Based on Material Previously Produced or Published


I do think that "BlackKklansman" will win, though not necessarily for the right reasons. Enough said. I would love the Screenplay for "Can You Ever Forgive Me" to win, it was delightful and a real breath of fresh air.








Best Actress in a Supporting Role 

I am really torn between these two actresses. Although I still think that Regina King will win, I cannot rule out a Win, and my preferred choice for Rachel Weisz for "The Favourite". In fact having now seen "Beale St", I think that Rachel Weisz definitely deserves to win, though I still think that King will prevail, but this is one category that I hope I get wrong.

Best Actor in a Supporting Role

If there is such as a thing as a certainty with this years show, then this has to be the one.

Despite only having won the same award two years ago, Mahershala Ali looks set to double his Oscar tally, with his brilliant performance as Dr. Don Shirley in "Green Book". Not wanting to push home grown talent, but I would dearly love to see the amazing Richard E. Grant win for "Can You Ever Forgive Me?". I firmly believe that the race is just between these two.

Best Actress in a Leading Role

As a film fan I am really torn. I am a HUGE fan of both of these two amazing actresses. But if I had to pick, I would say that Glenn Close is long overdue for an Oscar. I loved Olivia Colman is "The Favourite". and I think that in any other year, she would be walking away with Oscar, but having been nominated 6 times before, and never having won, it is time for Glenn Close to be known as an Academy Winner....

Best Actor in a Leading Role

Like with Leading Actress, either of these two fine actors giving tuly stunning performances could win the Lead Actor Oscar, but given the number of Awards already filling his Cabinet, I feel that the Academy will reward Rami Malek for his great work as Freddie Mercury in "Bohemian Rhapsody". Thinking about it, we have not had an acting tie in a number of years..hint hint
 

Best Director

As I've mentioned about the love for "Roma", it extends to its very talented Director Alfonso Cuaron who I think will bag another Directing Oscar.
I would love to see Adam McKay win for "Vice" which I thought to be one of the best films that I have seen in years.

Best Picture

Despite that there have been a number of this years Best Picture nominees all pick up a major Best Picture award along the way to the Academy Awards, I think that "Roma" will be triumphant with the Big Prize.

I would be absolutely tickled pink if Adam McKay's "Vice" won, as the film and the performance by Christian Bale absolutely blew me away.





So just to recap.....here are my predixtions for what & who I think will win the Academy Award

Best Original Screenplay - "ROMA"
Best Screenplay Based on Material Previously Produced or Published - "BLACKKKLANSMAN"
Best Actress in a Supporting Role - "REGINA KING"
Best Actor in a Supporting Role - "MAHERSHALA ALI"
Best Actress in a Leading Role - "GLENN CLOSE"
Best Actor in a Leading Role - "RAMI MALEK"
Best Director - "ALFONSO CUARON"
Best Picture - "ROMA"

At this point I would normally wish the Host the very best of luck, but for the first time in 30 years we do not have an MC. Hope it's a great show, with a few surprises, and fingers crossed I win the odd bet or two.


No comments:

Post a Comment