Tuesday 15 January 2013

"Alex Cross"

With all the various reboots going on at present, and given that there is such a wealth of material to work from, it was only a matter of time before we saw the return of Detective Alex Cross to the big screen.

As much as I, like most of the civilised World, adore Morgan Freeman  as an actor, I fear that he would now be a little too old to reprise his role as 'Alex Cross' from the earlier mvies "Kiss The Girls" and "Along Came A Spider". So taking over is actor Tyler Perry, who I have to admit I have never heard of.
A serial killer is leaving a trail of pretty gruesome bodies behind as he goes on a killing spree. He seems to enjoy inflicting the maximum amount of pain on his victims. Is he pure evil or is there some other reasoning behind his choice of victims?

It is down to 'Cross' and his partner to piece together the pieces of the puzzle, and aprehend the killer. And it would seem that the Detective may be up against the clock, as the Killer seems keen to want 'Cross' to feel some pain too.

At times when watching this film, I could not help but think of the far superior "The Bone Collector" which has a similar premise, and similar style of characters. Both films coming from the books of very established authors.
Alas there is very little in the way of tension here, and Tyler Perry does even less for me to find him an actor whose career I would wish to follow. His portrayal of 'Cross' is bland, and I find myself being more interested in the killer played with great relish by Matthew Fox.
There is a nice little twist at the end, but if there is another film featuring the character, I think that I may have to pass.

A reboot of the 'Alex Cross' series, maybe they should have passed on it.......5 out of 10




No comments:

Post a Comment